Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Journal #3: Flipping Classrooms (NETS-T II & III)

Fulton, K. (2012). Upside down and inside out. Learning& Leading with Technology39(8), 12-14. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Upside_Down_and_Inside_Out.aspx  

Summary: Kathleen Fulton's article Upside Down and Inside Out educates the read on "Flipped" classrooms. Only created a few years back, Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams two science teachers at Woodland Park High School in Colorado, decided that adding technology within the classrooms was the next needed advancements within schools. In "flipping" a classroom pushes to students to watch the lessons at home and then doing their homework in class. Math teachers at Byron High School have used this system in order to help with harsh budget cuts. Students after watching the lesion the night before will first participate in a little review fallowed by a handful questions to answer. Being allowed to work in groups, individually, with music or on the floor allows students to work at their own pace and their own comfort. Kathleen even talks about the statistics of schools that have flipped their classrooms. Students who took calculus have on average have improved by 9.8%. With new advancements in the field of education always popping up, I believe Kathleen had a good idea in education the world about "Flipped" classrooms. As stated "the flipped classroom is an education innovation with legs, if not wings!" (Fulton, 2012)

Q: Can I see myself using this method within my classroom?            
 In reading this article about "Flipped" classrooms I find that this new way of teaching would be interesting but not one I would use. Always being a student that thrived off of classroom experience and teacher student interaction I would believe that as a student I would come to class behind, irritated and lost. I would hate for my students to feel the same way. Though I could see myself taking parts of this idea, using the "flipped" classroom method for only certain lessons. I like the idea that students are allowed to work in their own manor, it gives students more of opportunity to feel relaxed and comfortable. This would be something I would also take way from this method of teaching. 
Q: What problem(s) can you see arising from the "Flipped" classroom method?              
 What if your student does not have a computer? This is a question that I found myself asking throughout the whole article. Though we live in a heavily technology based world where over 75% of house holds have computer, this still leaves a few homes with no computer. People can argue that public libraries can be the answer to this problem, though this all so would rely on the student having transportation.   



Q

No comments:

Post a Comment